Archive | Cholesterol and Triglyceride RSS for this section

7 Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol and Triglyceride Numbers

Too much cholesterol in the blood can lead to cardiovascular disease, which is the number one cause of death in the United States. Your blood cholesterol is a combination of cholesterol from foods (dietary cholesterol) and the cholesterol that is made in your liver. Your dietary cholesterol is about 25% of your blood cholesterol, and the other 75% of the cholesterol is made in your body. Since cholesterol can’t dissolve in the blood it is transported to and from your body’s cells by lipoproteins. Lipoproteins are proteins that package and carry fat and cholesterol in your blood stream. Low-density lipoprotein, or LDL, is known as “bad” cholesterol. High-density lipoprotein, or HDL, is known as “good” cholesterol. The right amount of the right kind of cholesterol will make a significant difference in your heart health status…


Fats are essential to a balanced healthy heart diet, but not all fats are created equal. They are called triglycerides. Triglycerides are the chemical form of fats in food and in the body. They are found in foods, the plump areas of your body, and in your blood. Your body makes them from the food you eat, and uses them for energy right away and stores excess in your fat cells for future use. Some of this triglyceride storage is called “pinch an inch” belly fat.

Think of fats as a building and triglycerides as the bricks that give it shape. Every triglyceride “brick” consists of a mixture of three fatty acids- saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated (the “tri“), and one glycerol molecule, and hence the name “tri“- “glyceride.”
A particular fat is defined by the combination of fatty acids that make up the “bricks” of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs), polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), and saturated fats (SAT Fats). Animal fats and Trans fats-chemically altered, man-made fats found in partially hydrogenated oils.

Most people can bring down their unhealthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels with lifestyle modification of diet and regular exercise. Use these 7 tips to lower your cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and start to build up your healthy heart profile now.

1. Change it. Make it a priority to eliminate high-calorie, and high fat meals that are the main course at most fast-food restaurants. When you snack refuse those salty chips, and fat laden dips, and avoid sugary drinks that promise to raise your risk of heart disease and increase cholesterol and triglycerides. Instead load up on veggies and fresh fruit, fish, and whole grains.

2. Move it. If you move it and you can lower it. Brisk exercise, like fast walking, is powerful in lowering unhealthy fats in your blood. These levels can drop 20%-30% when you start moving.

3. Lose it. If you are overweight, slimming down can lower your bad cholesterol, LDL. Losing more weight will bring it down even further.

4. Right Size it to avoid portion distortion. To right size your meals and avoid portion distortion begin with the end in mind by investing in measuring cups, spoons and an inexpensive scale. Eat as if you plan to eat again. Use a luncheon plate and measure serving size portions as per label.

5. Read it first. Before you eat all of it, read all the information on the food label first. This will tell you how much of what is in each serving size portion. Saturated fat and Trans fat raises cholesterol levels. Limit your intake to small amounts foods high in saturated fat and Trans fat like potato chip, ice cream, donuts, cupcakes and other processed foods.

6. Bake it. Even if the food is good and healthy how you prepare it will make a huge difference. Frying adds fat so bake, broil or grill delicious heart healthy meals using herbs, spices, and little salt to make it an experience not just a meal.

7. Snack it. Snack with whole grain starches, which are higher in fiber. The dual benefit is that they take longer to chew and keep you feeling fuller longer.
Use these 7 tips to help you lower your cholesterol and triglyceride numbers. Start with your next meal or snack and stay on track.


Use these 7 tips to lower your cholesterol and triglyceride numbers. Start with your next meal or snack and stay on track. Need or want help? Have a question? Want to make a suggestion or share a comment? Visit us at http://www.optimumhearthealth.com.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Frederick_Garnes


from Blogger http://misstipsbeauty.blogspot.com/2014/01/7-tips-to-lower-your-cholesterol-and.html
via misstipsbeauty

Advertisements